Chemotargets will contribute to the development of the repurposing platform for the REMEDi4ALL project, using its technology platforms: ProSurfScan, for AI-based drug design; CLARITY, for efficacy and safety prediction of compounds; and CLARITY PV, for translational safety analysis of medicines.
The project is expected to make a major leap forward in drug repurposing, or finding new therapeutic option for existing drugs, in areas where there are high unmet medical needs.
The project will receive 23M euros from Horizon Europe over the next 5 years to:
- develop an innovation platform supporting promising, high impact drug repurposing projects championed by patients in any phase of development and disease area.
- establish a global community that contributes to informing and shaping policy and advancing debate and knowledge exchange worldwide.
EATRIS, the European infrastructure for translational medicine, will lead this multidisciplinary consortium involving 24 European organisations with the common goal of making cost-effective repurposed medicines more widely available.
Barcelona, 1st September 2022
REMEDi4ALL launched today with the aim of making a major leap forward in drug repurposing. This promising approach to drug development consisting in the identification, testing, and validation of new therapeutic indications for existing medications, is a developing field but faces numerous barriers and systemic inefficiencies. Still, its potential to significantly bring down times and costs of drug development -it focuses on already approved, discontinued, shelved or investigational therapeutics- makes this novel strategy attractive for rare and neglected conditions, cancer, emerging public health threats such as COVID-19 or new drug combinations. It also translates into more sustainable health systems.
The project kicks off with the ambition of establishing a European research and innovation eco-system that facilitates fast and cost-effective patient-centric development and access to repurposed medicines. Chemotargets technology platforms will contribute significantly to two of the main objectives of the REMEDi4ALL project:
- build a state-of-the-art platform to provide expertise and services across the complete value chain (scientific, methodological, financial, legal, regulatory, intellectual property) for patient-centric medicine repurposing at every development stage and in any disease area.
- assemble advanced in silico tools for Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI), open datasets and tools and expertise required to understand the mechanism of action of specific medicines.
A multidisciplinary effort to cover every aspect of drug repurposing
The REMEDi4ALL consortium brings together a unique combination of expertise to address the complexities of drug repurposing. Under the leadership of EATRIS, the European infrastructure for translational medicine, 24 organisations in the fields of clinical and translational research, clinical operations, patient engagement and education, regulatory framework, funding, governance, Health Technology Assessment (HTA) or pricing and reimbursement will closely collaborate to make drug repurposing mainstream.
“It’s an enormous privilege for Chemotargets to work with public and private partners across the whole drug discovery and development path, in the generation of a medicines repurposing platform in Europe” expressed Scott Boyer, CEO at Chemotargets.
Chemotargets will participate in the REMEDi4ALL kick-off meeting that will take place on September 20 – 21, 2022, in Amsterdam.
Chemotargets SL was founded in March 2006 as a spin-off from Dr. Jordi Mestres’ Systems Pharmacology lab under the auspices of the IMIM, a leading academic centre of excellence based in Barcelona.
Chemotargets is currently recognized as a global leader in predictive analytics solutions for pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies and research institutions.
Since May 2017, Prous Institute for Biomedical Research makes a strategic investment in Chemotargets SL which allows CLARITYⓇ product development to be accelerated and new capabilities to be acquired to support the company’s vision.
In October 2020, Chemotargets appointed Dr. Scott Boyer as new CEO with the aim to facilitate its transition from a software business to a drug discovery and development organisation.
- Website: https://remedi4all.org
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/REMEDi4ALL/
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/remedi4all/
- Facebook – https://fb.me/REMEDi4ALL
- Project hashtags: #R4All #DrugRepurposing #MedicinesRepurposing #TranslationalResearch #PatientCentric #HorizonEU